Happiness banner

Happiness banner

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Bountiful Blunders

 I have participated in Bountiful Baskets for years, for those of you unfamiliar, please visit
www.bountifulbaskets.org and see if they are available in your area. 

Well, this week, I had my first snafu with the website.  Monday, I signed into my account, ordered my basket, went to checkout, and it said "Error: Confirmation Email could not be sent."  Uh-oh, I need my receipt to pick up my basket, so I go back, and I still have my basket in my cart.  To be on the safe side, I check my contribution history to see if it registers my basket for this week, nothing.  All righty, then, checkout again, get my receipt, good to go.  Excited for some fresh produce this weekend, and on with my life I go.

Thursday, I am balancing my accounts and realize that I have 2 charges from Bountiful Baskets.  Ah!  I only got one confirmation email, I bounce over to the site, check my contribution history again, and what do you know, there's 2, time stamped 3 minutes apart.  Palm to head.  Well, what to do now.  I mean we use a lot of fruits and vegetables, but that's ALOT!  I discuss the dilemma with my oh, so interested husband ; )  Should I sell it, keep it, what!?!?  This mostly one-sided brainstorm session ended with me deciding that I will decide later : )  I'll get the baskets, and see if I can freeze some extras, and see what happens.  So, Saturday, I'm getting 2 baskets.

Friday, I'm texting with my mom about our plans for the weekend.  She's super busy, so I offer to pick up her baskets for her, she gets 3 and distributes them around : )  She says, Great, I'll send your brother to help you.  So, Saturday, I'm picking up 5 baskets.

Saturday, basket day, nice, brisk autumn morning.  My brother arrives, we grab our receipts and head out to the pick up site.  We arrive about 10 minutes early and they are already distributing!  What luck!  We get a parking spot up nice and close, don't wanna have to go too far with 5 baskets!

I'm feeling great, smile on my face, "Good morning!'"  Smile is returned, just like always, awesome volunteers, as usual!  Turn in my receipt and they bring me my 2 baskets, boxed up and ready to go.  I stack them, one on top of the other, and am asked, as always, "Do you need some help with that?"  Of course I should take it!  These are lidless, drastically different sized boxes precariously perched on my not so awe-inspiring arms.  "Oh, no, I'm fine.  He has 3." I say, pointing toward my brother.  I smile, thank the helpful volunteer, and head toward the van.  Every step tells me that this is going to end badly.  The boxes get heavier and less stable, as I slowly inch forward, trying to maintain my produce and my dignity.  5 more steps, I'm starting to lose the corner, 4 more steps, I try to readjust my grip...and down goes the corner!  Behind me, I hear a collective gasp, and exclamations of "OH, no!"

I recover quite quickly, side stepping my overturned blackberries in the parking lot as my apples go bouncing away.  I holler over my shoulder, "It's okay!", though it is probably pretty clear that it is not.  I swing the boxes up onto the hood, quickly find a semi-secure hand hold, and finally get them in the van, whew.  I turn around and dash after my apples, as I return to my toppled blackberries, the helpful volunteer and my brother arrive with the other three boxes.  He laughs, she smiles, I say, "IT all came from the dirt, anyway.", and she laughs. 

We make our exit with some good joshing from my brother and a good amount of embarrassment on my part.  These are the days, you just have to laugh. 

 



It was all worth it as I unloaded my boxes at home.  Just as good as Christmas, all of the wonderful healthy ways to use this bounty!  Needless to say, we'll be keeping it all.  I see Borscht in the very near future.  Here's to your health, and...

                                                      Making It Count

No comments:

Post a Comment