Happiness banner

Happiness banner

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Making Minecraft

When my 10 year old told me he wanted to be Steve from Minecraft for Halloween, I figured, how hard could it be!?!?!?  It's just boxes, right..

As many kids his age, my son is obsessed with Minecraft!  When he's not playing it, he's reading books about it, or watching videos of other people playing it.  While it is definitely not my thing, I love his enthusiasm : )

So, with promises of help, I was given pictures and blueprints (because we must be accurate) a pile of cardboard, and a mission!

We started with a head sized box, that I then sewed a baseball cap into so it would sit right.  We cut the other pieces of cardboard to fit his height, so that he would be able to move.  We did one chest piece, two pieces for each arm and two pieces for each leg. 

I measured and marked squares on all of the pieces and then color coded them, so the kids could help me paint.  Keep in mind, that to make it look pixelated, each color you need, you actually need two shades that are close together.  We ended up using 2 browns, 2 flesh tones, 2 light blues, 2 dark blues, black and white.  We just used your basic acrylic paint, and it covered well.

For the sword, I cut out a 1 inch square template, then used that to sketch out the sword.  Then we cut out 2 of the sword shape and glued them back to back and painted them so the sword was 2 sided.

To attach, I secured string to each piece so they could be tied on over his clothes.  The chest piece had a loop that went around his neck, and a belt to tie around his back.

It took much more work than I had anticipated, but I will never forget the look on his face when he finally got to put it all on and look in the mirror!

He told me that this was his favorite costume of all time because it made everyone smile.

These are the moments...

                                                            Making It Count

No comments:

Post a Comment